Today I’m sharing a super quick and easy Mexican Vegetable Tortilla Soup recipe that I recently made for dinner for Caleb and I (also shared on my TikTok here). I’ve made this several times by now and two different ways (one with meat and one without); but eating more plant-based has definitely been our go to lately! We recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Forks Over Knives and- oh my gosh- it has definitely altered our view of meat. We pretty much eat as plant-based as possible, and we will have seafood occasionally. I truly believe that it is so important to be mindful and aware of what we are putting into our bodies. It’s important to take care of ourselves in every aspect. If you have not seen the film, then I highly recommend it; especially if you aren’t aware of the potential dangers of processed meats.
The last thing that I’ll add here is that I love to cook meals that take little time and as little prep work as possible. I love to eat more than I like to cook. So there’s that! haha Keep reading for the ingredient list and recipe below!
Mexican Vegetable Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapeños, finely diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of corn
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- shredded Mexican blend cheese or Monterrey cheese
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeños, then cook for another minute. *If you like spice, then make sure to add in some of the jalapeño seeds!*
- Pour the diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, and chicken broth into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, lower the heat to simmer.
- *If you feel that you absolutely must have meat in your soup, you can add in next, 3 organic chicken breasts (rinsed/cleaned first). Cook the chicken in the soup for about 20-25 minutes. Then remove it from the pot to shred it. And then add your shreds back in. From here, continue to step 8.*
- If skipping 6, then let the veggie soup simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and add in your lime juice and fresh cilantro. For the lime juice , start with juice from 1 lime, taste the soup, and then decide from there whether you want to add more lime juice (from the second one) or not.
- Season with salt and pepper, to your liking.
- Serve soup in bowls and enjoy with slices of avocado, shredded cheese, and crumbled tortilla chips!
You can totally add other types of veggies to the pot or double up on any of the canned veggies if you’re not going to use chicken. Do whatever sounds good and make it your own! If you make this quick and easy Mexican Vegetable Tortilla Soup recipe, then I’d love to know in the comments below! I’m so excited to continue sharing more healthy recipes and even “What I Eat In A Day” posts on the blog for you guys!